I participated in User Experience Design Bootcamp at General Assembly in L.A. and was challenged along with other designers to design a mobile app concept with a given scenario. In a group of four, we had about five hours to complete the project for final presentation.
PROBLEMS IDENTIFIED IN THE GIVEN SCENARIO
A working mom wants to take her kids to a nearby beach on July 1st. She is worried that it will be too hard to find parking on that day. So, she decides to find something before that day to reserve a spot. Her goal is to find a parking spot that is close to the beach, safe and easy to access during the day. She is willing to pay a higher price to get a desirable parking spot.
- Concept development
- User Research
- User Testing
- UX, UI
Drivers who would like to search, compare, and secure an ideal parking spot before their designated date.
Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, Marvel
*Project time frame: 5 hours
THE USER’S CHALLENGE
How much time do you waste looking for parking?
The user is frustrated having to sift through the endless amount of parking information online. Not only does it take time to look through, a lot of it is not up-to-date. She is hoping to find a parking spot that is secure, accessible, and close to the destination with shortest time spent.
Based on what we know about the user’s pain points and goals, we aim to design a simple, easy, and secure app. We came up with a lot of ideas with interesting features and it was difficult to decide which one is more important than the other.
HOW THESE CHALLENGES WERE APPROACHED
We conducted competitive analysis and user tests to identify, compare, and test our potential key features. In this process we were able to simplify the features and reduce the number of screens from 22 to 16 to eliminate all of the unnecessary features and functions.
After analyzing the scenario, we conducted user testing sessions on competing apps. We found four apps and each designer downloaded them to identify pros and cons from their own perspectives. After enough time exploring, we compiled our findings and marked out repeated comments and features.
Through this process, we realized that we had too many unnecessary features and were not meeting the user’s ultimate goals. As a result, we simplified the features and reduced the screens from 19 to 11 for quick, easy and secure transactions to make it user friendly and to relieve the user’s pain points.
Also, we simplified the user interface and user flow by implementing simple UI buttons instead of keyboards. When keyboards are unavoidable, such as entering address, auto-suggest will be provided so that users may not need to type the whole string. This feature will engage users more efficiently and reduce frustrations as it will not only save their time but enhance their searching experience.
SOME OF THE KEY FEATURES INCLUDED
A SIMPLE LOGIN | SIGNUP PROCESS
PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS
- Through user testing, users don’t want to give full information in the beginning -> Instead of filling out full profile information in the beginning process, users can choose to skip
- Users were frustrated with typing necessary information -> Instead of keyboard, users can simply scroll and select buttons
- Users had a difficult time setting their preferences parking types -> Make this experience easy, fun, and interactive
SEARCH | CONTACT
PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS
- When users don’t have enough time to go through all at of the listings at the moment or have difficult time when they have to sift through vast amount of contents at once -> Users can save the listings to view later
- When users have a different way to review the result listings -> Users can view search results in three ways (list, map, gallery)
- When users have concerns about safety of the parking spot -> Users can check reviews from previous customers
- When users have more question to ask about before booking -> Users can send a direct message
PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS
- Users have concerns about security of the transactions -> Users can pay at the external secure site (PayPal) so that their personal information is secured
- When users have concerns about last minute cancellations -> The payment won’t be released until check-in. If user cancel, then a certain percent will be taken off